Are You Ready For AB60?
We created the below infographic to help people understand more about the AB60 law in California and how the process of obtaining a valid driver's license through this new law works.
Navigate below the AB60 infographic image to find the full text of the infographic with links to resources, or download the PDF here:
Printable AB60 Infographic (PDF)
If you like this infographic AB60 information, share it on your website or blog by using the embed code below:
Are you ready for the AB60 driving permit test?
What is AB60?
With the passage of California Assembly Bill 60 (AB60), the California DMV locations have begun issuing drivers’ licenses to undocumented immigrants living in CA who meet all of the necessary requirements of the bill, beginning January 1, 2015.
Who can apply?
California residents who can provide proof of residency and identity, who want to have legal driving privileges. (Per CA DMV, law enforcement cannot use your license for criminal investigation, arrest or detention based on your immigration status.)
What do I need to apply?
Make an appointment to visit a California DMV field office by either:
- Visiting this webpage, then clicking on "Field Office Visit Appointment" button
- Using the "DMV Now" app – download here
- Get help at your local Titan agency by visiting this webpage or calling 1-800-TITAN-UP
- Walk-in at the temporary driver license processing centers in Lompoc, Stanton, Granada Hills, or San Jose
- Call 1-800-777-0133
Study for the California driving test
Use the following study resources:
- California Driver License Handbooks and Sample Knowledge Tests are available at any Titan Insurance location or online in various languages HERE
- Sample interactive driving tests are available HERE
- Road sign charts are available HERE
- Traffic sign flash cards are available HERE
Complete a driver license application form (DL44), available at the DMV office
Provide California DMV with either:
- Social security number AND proof of identity and legal presence
- Proof of identity AND California residency under AB60
(Details regarding these documents are available at any Titan Insurance location or on the AB60 website).
Pass a vision test and TouchScreen knowledge (written) test (and if applicable, a road sign test)
Study resources for the written and road sign test can be found HERE
Final 3 Steps to Apply for AB60
- Give a thumb print
- Have a picture taken
- Schedule a future appointment for the behind-the-wheel driving test
What else do I need to think about?
California state law requires all drivers to have car insurance
If you’re a new driver, you probably already know that California state law requires that all drivers have liability car insurance or provide proof of financial responsibility. Auto insurance protects a driver financially in the event of an accident.
The minimum coverage required is called Liability Insurance, which covers property damage and/or injury to others from an at fault accident. Every driver has different insurance and coverage needs and we can help you determine the right coverage for your circumstance. (read more about CA car insurance requirements on Titan.com)
Benefits of having car insurance
It is also important to understand the responsibility and additional requirements for being on the road. Titan Insurance wants to make sure that all new drivers under AB60 have the proper